The church had its beginning when a group of believers met in 1890 and purchased a house to be used for worship in the 1300 block of L Street in Southeast Washington. This house served as the first meeting place and the first services were conducted by Mr. Andrew Steele, who served as the Lay Pastor from 1890 to 1893.

In 1893 Mrs. A.T. Lyon made available land at 1341 K. Street S.E. on which the K Street Methodist Church was erected. Rev John Dorritt Bradburn became the first Pastor and served until his death in 1899. In his memory the church was renamed Bradburn Memorial Methodist Church. By decision of its members in 1931 the church broke from the Methodist conference and became Independent Methodist. From that day until the present Bradburn has taken its spiritual direction only from the Word of God.

In 1950 the congregation made a decision to relocate and purchased 3.5 acres of land in District Heights, Md. in 1953. The new church building was begun on faith and was built to completion in 1958. Services were held at the new location beginning with an open air meeting in 1953. Services were held in the basement and parsonage while the sanctuary was under construction. The church was dedicated on March 30 1958. The building was expanded to its present structure in 1973. The church has s sanctuary that will seat 400, a fellowship hall, kitchen, Pastorís Study, Choir Room, Church and Sunday School Offices, Nursery and Sunday School Classrooms.

In 1987 the congregation decided to make another change in the name and Bradburn became Bradburn Memorial Bible Church. During the years Bradburn has answered the call of God and has prospered both spiritually and materially. This success has been due to the power and grace of the God we serve and to the members and friends who have faithfully worshipped as a church family.


We believe in prayer. We believe that God answers prayer
and that prayer works.

Bradburn has prevailed for years because it has stood to proclaim for the Word of God. Our prayer as we look to the future is that we continue to serve the Lord until he returns. Our most earnest prayer is that those around us may seek the Lord while he may still be found.

Home | Salvation | What We Believe | Service Times |About Us | History | Staff | Stained Glass

All material property of Bradburn Memorial Bible Church unless otherwise noted.
Copyright © 2014 Bradburn Memorial Bible Church
This website was created by Whitaker designs